Monday, July 28, 2008

We're Back from the ATL

For our loyal readers who were wondering where we have been, then answer is - Atlanta! My friend Susan was married this past weekend in Hotlanta and I was the Matron of Honor and Eva was the Flower Girl. And we are not without some stories!

We arrived on Wednesday after an uneventful plane flight (with extra room so Eva was able to fly in her carseat). Ok, well other than the nasty dude sitting in front of us who kept making air noises every time that Eva got cranky (she needed a nap so she was a bit out of sorts until she fell asleep and he needed to let out a great big sigh each time she made any noises!) it was uneventful! We got the rental car - a black Dodge Caravan - this thing seriously rocked. Automatic everything and a DVD player - I was like, can I take this thing home?!

Our hotel, the Courtyard Marriot in Roswell seemed nice from the pictures and when we got there I thought, oh wow, this place is really nice. We had decided to book a suite for Matt and Eva and I to give us a place to hang out when she was napping and then got the adjoining room for my parents. They had a crib (we will get to that) and we had asked for that in the room. Plus we had a small fridge and a microwave which was perfect (and a huge TV and internet service, so Matt was very happy). Once we got there and checked in and got to our room I promptly found a cockroach in our bathroom, which I immediately squashed. See evidence:

Then my father found dirty black thong underwear stuck between the doors of the adjoining rooms. So just as we were beginning to feel as if we were staying in the Ritz Carlton (NOT) we discover there is no crib. Ok, so my mom calls the front desk and asks that they have the crib brought up to the room. About 15 minutes later this man shows up with a tiny pack and play. Yeah, I have an almost two-year-old child and we are staying for 5 nights. And your website says "crib". That is not an f-ing crib. It is like sleeping in a small tent over a rock. So we decided to call around and find out if you can rent a crib since the Marriot seems to think our standards are beyond them and refused to help us find one. So we called a service named "Babies Away" that rents equipment for babies who are traveling away from home. Later that night it was off to Susan's parents' home for dinner. After we got home, my father showed his strength by pulling the door knob completely off the door!

Unfortunately, we didn't hear back from Sue on Wednesday so we decided to see how it went that night. NOT WELL! After a relatively sleepless night for Matt, Eva and myself we called Sue from Babies Away again on Thursday. Luckily we heard back from her and she delivered and set up the crib on Thursday while we were enjoying a pre-wedding get-together at Susan and Murry's place. Speaking of this get-together, we had an interesting tour around Atlanta as our GPS couldn't find its you-know-what with both hands and had us in the Atlanta ghetto! Thank god for Murry and his friend Chris who got us out of the ghetto and over to Susan and Murry's lovely townhome - which was all the more lovely after what we had seen!

Oh yes, back to the wedding. So Susan married this guy named Murry (well, his name is sort of Murry). It is Murry to his friends and to Susan and her friends and family and Ryan to his family and close family friends. Why you may ask? Because his name is Murry Ryan and his parents had called him Ryan from birth. His friends renamed him Murry after they found out his real first name (sort of as a joke at first but then it stuck)! So that was a slightly confusing issue!

To backtrack a bit, we met up with Jim, a friend of Susan's from Dublin, Ireland and spent a great deal of quality time with him the whole weekend. He was great with Eva! She really enjoyed her "Uncle Jim!!" Jim was lucky enough to be with us in the family truckster when we took the tour of Atlanta! He was nice enough to continue to hang out with us despite the ghetto tour! Here is Eva with Grandma and "Uncle Jim" at the hotel pool!

Friday was the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. My parents were nice enough to bring Eva to the rehearsal so she could practice being a flower girl but then take her home since the dinner was late and she would not have gotten enough sleep. The dinner was a Louisiana style cajun meal that was supposed to be on this outdoor patio at Murry's family's favorite restaurant, however, the weather was iffy so they moved it to the clubhouse at their housing complex that is at least covered on top. It was fun but they don't call it Hotlanta for nothing! Tara (Susan's bridesmaid) and I were able to ensure that no one else at the rehearsal dinner was bitten by any mosquitos as we took many for the team!

Saturday, the day of the wedding went relatively smoothly. I did Susan's hair for the wedding (tradition!) and it actually came out quite nice if I do say so myself. My hair was another story, but whatever it was her wedding!! There was a slight disaster with the flowers as they froze the night before and all had to be replaced! Yikes, mother of the bride to the rescue! Eva picked her first day ever to not take a nap so I was terrified that she would freak out during the ceremony. But she was actually quite good even though she wanted to wander around the church and to my horror did spend a few seconds hopping up and down on the place Susan and Murry were supposed to kneel on during the communion portion of the service! If I ever figure out how to add videos to this blog I will post a bit of video from the wedding. Eva was able to party with the rest of us until relatively late into the evening at the reception. My parents were again nice enough to bring her home so that Matt and I could spend some quality adult time at the reception.

On Sunday it was off to breakfast at Susan's parents' home. We were able to see some of the pictures from the wedding (thanks Joanna) and talk about the week's festivities. It was so nice to have the quality time to spend with Susan and Murry and Susan's family and friends. We really enjoyed all of our visiting time.

On Monday we were off to the airport relatively early (with "Uncle Jim" getting up early to give us an Irish send off!). We got to the airport with relative ease but then we were stuck waiting for a wheelchair for my mom (back issues - long story) and finally made it to the gate with seconds - literally - to spare! I had to pee on the plane because there was no time. So this flight - not as successful as the last one! The flight was FULL FULL FULL - no empty seats. Which meant Eva - who had woken up at 4:30 in the morning (don't even ask) and had taken no nap was a LAP CHILD! AAAH! She was actually better than I thought she would be since she was able to lap hop between Dada, Mama and Papa (my mom was across the aisle). We got to the airport in Newark and I was exhausted and ready to get our bags and go home. I had this gnawing concern about my luggage, though. Apparently my concern was not misplaced as we got all the bags but one - my suitcase! No where to be found!! Oh yes, they lost my bag and I had to file a claim and wait for them to call and tell me they found it. "Sorry Ma'am, we don't know if it ever got on the plane or if it is still in Atlanta or went elsewhere in error." SUPER! Luckily they found it and delivered it to me late that night (after I was asleep, I might add - but thankfully my family was awake to get it off the front porch!).

In addition to my lost luggage, Eva was complaining that her ear hurt so off to the doctor we went and found out that she had an ear infection. The fun never stops!

No comments: