Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's My Tantrum And I'll Cry If I Want To!

Today we went to the Farmer's Market in Hometown (about 10 minutes from our lake house). This market has everything from vegetables to faux designer purses to chicken to candy - basically everything! I kept telling Eva about how fun it would be to go to the market. So she was excited to go (I think) - hard to tell w/ a toddler. But this morning she would not put on her shirt. She kept running away and saying "I'll help" which actually sounds like "Aul hulp." So I let her "hulp" but she wanted to put it on sideways and bass ackwards so I told her that she had to let me help her get her shirt on or we were not going to the market. She refused. And refused again. To the point that I was about to stay home until she finally seemed to get the idea of "I'm sorry" which sounds like "Sharry" and "Please go" which sounds like "Cheese go." So she said the magic words of "Sharry" and "Cheese" and we were off to the market! Once there she actually seemed to enjoy riding around in the stroller and watching all of the people shop. There are some interesting folks at this market so she had a lot to watch! Then it was time to eat a late breakfast and she wigged out in the middle of this little area where they serve breakfast and have booths and tables. She flipped out because I wanted to fold up her stroller and put it across the room so that we could sit in the booth. Here is the kid that NEVER wants to sit still to eat and she wanted to ride in her stroller strapped in rather than sitting like a big girl in the booth. So she threw a tantrum. Screaming, crying, shoving her fingers in her nose and her mouth until she gagged and then screaming some more. People were stopping to look at her. So finally my pride got the best of me and I took her outside "owshide" for a time out. She continued to flip out for another 5 minutes or so which allowed my parents to order our breakfast. When we went back in she said she was ready to "eeet" and be good so we went about sitting in the booth. She proceeded to squeeze a styrofoam cup of water all over the table and herself (that was fun) and then she sat down to play with the drops of water that I hadn't cleaned up yet since apparently napkins are a luxury around there. Then it was time to eat breakfast. She had about 5 bites of sausage and then decided she was done and we should be done as well. Since none of us were done she proceeded to stand in front of the booth and look at her stroller which was about 5-10 feet away and tucked behind a table for safekeeping and SCREAM her bloody head off. Yeah, it was tantrum time again. So out of the booth I came and "owshide" we went to have another tantrum.

Luckily when we got home from the market (which was not much later I might add) she took a 3 hour nap. Aah, blissful quiet!! So we cleaned out our storage room (how peaceful - NOT). But at least we got a good start on that room.

Tonight she threw a fit when it was time to go to bed. No idea why, just pitched a complete fit. Luckily this time there was no audience!! So it is 5 minutes to 10 p.m. and I feel like it is 2 a.m. My day warranted a sundae so I went to Redners (our local market) to buy supplies. Everyone had one (except for my sleeping tantrumer of course)!! Tomorrow should be a great beach day because it is supposed to be beautiful. Hopefully we will be back to "Yea beach" tomorrow!

1 comment:

Danalisa said...

OK...I SO FEEL for you because we are entering this stage now!! It is a pain in the ass! They don't really get time out (though I keep doing it until he does) and it is embarrassing in public. Will I ever be able to eat a quiet meal again! LOL