Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fever, Fever, Go Away....And Don't Come Back!

There is only one thing worse than being sick and that is when your kid is sick. Particularly when you have another one who is only 7 weeks old!

Yesterday I got a call from Eva's school...never good in the middle of the day. "Mrs. Cahill [still totally sounds weird to me], um, Eva has a fever of 101.2 degrees and isn't feeling well. She is the seventh [yes I said seventh] child to go home sick this week [k, maybe had you told me that sooner I would have had her on vacation from preschool this week!]. Can you come pick her up? [No, I am thinking, I would prefer you keep her because she is going to be cranky and hideous and get all of us sick. Can I pick her up next Monday?]"

So I dutifully drove [with wet hair in the freezing cold] to go and pick up the seventh victim of the hideous "preschool disease" from school. And when I got there I actually felt sorry for her. She came trotting over and I said, "You don't feel good?" Her lower lip quivered and she shook her head no. Aw, now I feel a little bad for wanting to pick her up next week. [Only a little.]

Off to the doctor we go because I am taking no chances. Except apparently you don't just have to be sort of sick, you have to be damn sick for anyone at her pediatrician to pay you any mind. So away from the doctor we went with directions to take two of these and call us on Friday if the fever persists.

So today was looking up as we had no fever when we woke up this morning. Nice! So I call Nana and Papa and tell them they can bring their friend Clare to visit us because, magically we are better! Later in the day the fever is 99.2. Not bad, I think, since we have been out shopping and are a bit tired. Two hour nap later (and a wet couch - damnit Mommy, remember the pullup even if she has just peed before laying down!) and a bit of initial crankiness and we are delightful and ready to go to dinner at the diner. Yummy dinner and even yummier dessert that Papa and Nana brought for us and then it is time for....MELTDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and bedtime) I take her temperature just for poo poo and giggles and it is...drum roll please...104 frigin degrees. Oh [bleep]! Great, my kid has the frigin pig flu. I am sure of it now.

1 comment:

Danalisa said...

you are a very funny writer...I enjoy the thoughts in your head [in brackets]. LOL Hope she is ok...we are all sick here too,